“If you look over the years, the styles have changed – the clothes, the hair, the production, the approach to the songs. The icing to the cake has changed flavors. But if you really look at the cake itself, it’s really the same.” –John Oates
How to Make Icing
Icing has been used for years to sweeten up cakes, pastries, and other goodies. Many types and flavors of icing can be made.
Some icing flavors include:
- Raspberry icing
- Strawberry icing
- Cream cheese icing
- Chocolate fudge icing
- Vanilla icing
The different types of icing include:
- Glaze icings
- Foam icings
- Fondant icings
- Buttercream icings
- Whipped cream icings
- Cream cheese icings
How to Make Glaze Icing
Glaze icing is one of the simplest types of icing to make. This type of icing is poured in a thin layer over a food item where it hardens. Glaze icing can add flavor and help to keep the food item moist.
To make a glaze, follow these steps:
- Ccombine 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup of milk.
- Combine the milk and vanilla in a pan and heat on low until the mixture becomes warm.
- Sift the powdered sugar into the other ingredients and stir until completely blended.
- Pour or brush over baked goods for a finished look.
How to Make a Chocolate Glaze Icing
To make a rich chocolate glaze, combine 3 tablespoons of butter, 3/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and 1 tablespoon of light corn syrup. Place ingredients in the top portion of a double boiler. Heat over simmering water. Stir until the mixture is smooth and add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
How to Make a Foam Icing, or a Meringue
Meringue is an example of foam icing. Follow these steps:
- In a bowl, mix 3 egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar, and a pinch of salt.
- Start off slowly beating, then increase speed gradually.
- Add 2/3 cup of superfine sugar and beat all ingredients for 7 to 10 minutes.
This will make around 4 cups of meringue. It is important to mix the ingredients in an unlined copper bowl, if available. Using an aluminum bowl will cause the egg whites to turn gray.
How to Make Fondant Icing
Fondant icing is used to give baked goods an elegant, and sometimes porcelain, appearance.
The ingredients needed to make fondant icing include:
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 pound of sifted, powdered sugar
Follow these steps:
- In a bowl, mix the butter, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar until the mixture clings together at the bottom of the bowl.
- The fondant may now be cut with cookie cutters, rolled into balls, or spread on a cake.
How to Make Buttercream Icing
Buttercream icing can be found on wedding and birthday cakes. To make this delicious sweet, follow these steps:
- Ccombine a 1/2 cup of Crisco shortening, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 drop of buttercream flavor, 4 tablespoons of water, and 1 pound of sifted powdered sugar.
- Mix the shortening, buttercream, salt, and vanilla.
- Add the powdered sugar and water and mix until it is of whipped cream consistency.
- Add to cakes, donuts, or pastries.
How to Make Whipped Cream Icing
Another popular type of icing is made from whipped cream. Step by step, here’s how to make whipped cream icing:
- Combine 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon of granulated white sugar.
- To add chocolate flavor to whipped cream icing, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and an additional 1 1/2 tablespoons of granulated white sugar.
- Other popular whipped cream icing flavors include raspberry and strawberry. Add 1/2 cup of raspberry puree or jam, or a 1/2 cup of lightly sweetened strawberry puree for a delicious treat.
This recipe will make approximately 2 cups of whipped cream icing.
How to Make Cream Cheese Icing
Cream cheese is a tasty choice for any sweet, baked item.
One popular way to make cream cheese icing is to add an 8 ounce package of softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup of softened butter, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and 1 pound of powdered sugar. Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, then add the vanilla and powdered sugar.
Another version of cream cheese icing is made by combining 8 ounces of cream cheese that is softened, 1 stick of margarine, 1 box of powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
There are a variety of flavors and types of icing that may be easily prepared for any baked good. From whipped cream to fondant, easy to prepare recipes are available for beginners and professionals alike.